Wey Navigation – Newark to Worsfold Gates
The Navigation splits from the river briefly as it passes Newark Abbey & the old mills.
The priory dates from the 12th Century and was dissoluted by Henry 8th
A winter view of the navigation by the site of the old Newark Mill. The mill had five floors, three waterwheels and eight pairs of stones. The buildings on the right are on the site of the former mill
This view shows what Newark mill looked like. The mill burnt down in December 1966. One of the Stevens’ barges is seen waiting for its cargo around 1930.
Sign by Newark Bridge relating the story of the mill as well as the Abbey.
A view looking back at Newark bridge. The navigation enters on the right under the bridge, whilst the river goes off to the left. In the summer the section along the meadow here is popular with moorers.
Papercourt lock and its splendid weir (or tumbling bay as they may be called in this part of the world – but this is not a tumbling bay!)
The by-wash here can be very strong. National Trust signs bill Papercourt as ‘the lock that moved.’ The original lock was on the right and the lock keeper’s house on the left! Some suggest that the site of the old lock is now the weir.
It isnt understood why the lock was moved in the first place. The present lock is not the original but one in a long line of of numerous rebuilds. Unstable ground is thought to be a contributing factor.
One of the many rebuilds at Papercourt Lock – this took place in 1907. Picture published by kind permission of the National Trust
The Wey itself leaves the navigation to wind round Old Woking before rejoining at Worsfold gates. The marshes between Send and Old Woking were liable to flooding and it is for this reason the (unavigable) Broadmead Cut was built.
Send – The Tannery
The navigation is quite shallow through this section. However work in the winter of 2008 has made some stretches better. The Tannery, where leather was processed, is a substantial feature of this stretch.
Commercial traffic on the Wey is almost non-existent these days. However this rarity (day boat plus a mooring pontoon) was spotted on 1 December 2008 heading north at Send Tannery
The High Bridge is essentially a pair of ladders connected by an upper walkway.
The quietest moorings in Send are right by this unusual bridge and its a short walk up the hill to the local shops. At this location was Send Heath wharf, which stood here for two centuries before being re-located to Cartbridge.
Send – Cart Bridge and the New Inn, at lunch time Sunday 1st June 2008
The New Inn at Send
Until it was rebuilt, Cart Bridge at Send was a much smaller structure. Its now a modern structure designed to tolerate heavy traffic. Residents however rue the intrusion of additional traffic that is siphoned off the A3 throught the village en route for Woking.
The New Inn is a popular stopping point for both boaters and motorists. There used to be a grocery shop with very low doorways right opposite the New Inn.
Beyond the New Inn the short stretch past Ashburton House leads to Worsfold Gates and the Wey again. The navigation’s lock gates are still built here.
Next: Worsfold to Stoke
Wey Navigation Pages:
Thames Lock – Weybridge Town / Coxes – Parvis Wharf / Parvis – Walsham Gates / Newark – Worsfold Gates / Worsfold – Stoke / Stoke – Guildford Wharf / Town Mill – St Catherine’s / Shalford – Godalming / Harry Stevens