Basingstoke Canal – Byfleet Junction to Woodham Top Lock

The full 37 and half miles from the Wey to Basingstoke The Basingstoke canal leaves the River Wey at Byfleet, about a half mile above New Haw lock. The junction is framed by the adjacent railway line, where two different bridges can be seen crossing the Wey – the original brick rail bridge And the addional later iron bridge. Also […]

Read more

The full 37 & half miles from the Wey to Basingstoke

The Basingstoke is one of those canals which has an interesting mixture of a waterway that is working, and a ‘lost’ or derelict section. Other canals with a similar situation include the Ashby Canal and the Lancaster Canal. Whilst the Basingstoke Canal was re-opened in 1991 after two decades of restoration work, it must not be forgotten that the epic […]

Read more

The Slough arm 3

The un-numbered pipeline bridge. The conveyor belt bridge on the site of an old bridge so clearly gets number 2 The first of the three iron aqueducts. This carries the navigation over the Colne Brook. The underside of the aqueduct showing the trough carrying the water channel low-slung across the Colne Brook. Iron aqueducts are quite popular in the London […]

Read more

The Slough arm 2

The Slough arm of the Grand Union Canal Industry on both sides near St Mary’s bridge. This is Langley Business Park. The offside is known as Marish Wharf. The canal enters the stretch that runs alongside Langley Business Park. They sponsored the creation and installation of the five mileposts to be found alongside the Slough Arm. Bridge No.8 known as […]

Read more

The Salters Cut (Sabey’s Canal and Rickmansworth Wharf)

Salter’s Cut was a 500yd cut opened in 1804 (or 1805 as some sources claim) and served Salter & Co’s Brewery, but later also extended to serve a gravel pit (now Sabey’s Pool) and Rickmansworth Gasworks. Here we look at the lock on the branch to Sabey’s Pool and the site of Town Wharf. 1) Sabey’s Canal and lock Looking […]

Read more

The Salters Cut (Gasworks Arm/River Chess) Rickmansworth

This was a 500yd cut opened in 1804 (or 1805 as some sources claim) and served Salter & Co’s Brewery. The firm’s director, Stephen Salter, paid for the river to be canalised. This was the course of the River Chess, deepened and widened, to permit boats to reach the brewery. Known as Salter’s Cut, invariably it was later extended to […]

Read more

Wey Navigation – Harry Stevens

The Navigation offices were at Friary Street, long since demolished, and now the site of the new road that passes between the Rodborough Buildings and Debenhams. The site included a wharf, warehouses and a treadmill crane which still exists. The Navigations office in Friary Street, Guildford in the sixties. Picture by permission of the National Trust (with whom the copyright […]

Read more

Wey Navigation – Shalford to Godalming

Shalford railway bridge carries the Reading – Redhill/Gatwick route. Major refurbishment took place during 2007/2008 and the offside channel was dredged so boats can now use both arches. Broadford – lovely early morning summer scene Stonebridge Wharf. This was regularly serviced by barges off the nearby Wey and Arun Junction canal and by powder barges which took gunpowder from nearby […]

Read more

Wey Navigation – Town Mill to St Catherine’s

The Town Mill at Guildford. This used to be the unofficial terminus of the Wey Navigation beyond Town Wharf – until 1764 when the Godalming Navigation opened. Despite the older and narrower Town bridge below Millmead records show that barges squeezed through to serve the Mills. The Toll House is the small brick building on the far end of the […]

Read more
1 2 3 4